My arrival in Turkey!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

So for those of you who don't know, I will be in the country of Turkey for the first half of the year. I'm going to be living in Ankara, the country's capital. It was a big decision for me because I originally thought it would be best for me to have a Co-op in the United States. However, I eventually took advantage of this amazing opportunity!

Not too long ago, I was on a trip in India. That was such an amazing place that I would like to go back to one day.

Now fast-forward to Tuesday Night.

My mother took me to the airport around 5:30. We were already running late for my 7:45 flight, but we both thought I would get to the airport in no time. Wrong! Traffic sucked and was holding us up! When that happened I got very nervous about what would be next, and began to get nervous I would miss my flight. Eventually, we got to the airport just in time, but the problem was now with the check in desk. I had too many pieces of luggage and had to decide what to take and what to leave with my mother. It was all too much for me to handle after hearing that I had only five minutes to check in my luggage. When I finally got on the plane I sat next to an Indian woman from Mumbai aka Bombay. We chatted about India, which reminded me about all the wonderful things that I got to do there. The flights themselves went pretty smoothly.

So, when I finally arrived in Turkey, I had to take a Taxi to TOBB University (which is where I will be working at). That when oh so smoothly. Not! None of the security guards knew English, which made it very difficult to explain who I wanted to see. Eventually, that worked out and a sigh of relief occurred when I saw Warren. I knew I was in the right building from here, and now knew where work was. Nice. I met with our Boss, who was a very friendly guy. Actually, all the Turkish people I've met so far turned out to be very nice and approachable, like in India. If not, then more friendly. After that I met with the girls, who helped me carry my heavy ass luggage to our apartments.

Upon arrival at the apartment, there happened to be no electricity in my apartment where the guys live. Nice, I always wanted to take my energy practices to the next level. So I just dropped my stuff down, and went upstairs to the girl’s apartment. It was nice to hear about everyone's little adventure about their trips here, especially since everyone had a great tale of their own. Hearing these stories alone immediately tells me there will be way more to come!

So finally, I went to take a shower in the girls’ apartment, since I didn't feel ready to shower in the dark. Oh wait, the shower doesn't work in my apartment :D... It really didn't bother me that the shower isn't working, but I feel bad if all of the guys will have to shower in the girls’ apartment for a while...

So after the nice and warm shower, I felt ready to go to bed finally. But here comes the fun part, I was stuck in the bathroom! haha, yes. I couldn't get the door open and I pulled the lock out of the door in an attempt to try to key my way out. After much struggle I broke free of the bathroom and headed straight down to my room. The gentleman who lived in my room before me left dirty laundry and trash in my room. It looks like I have a mission to clean this place up!

So anyway, I am here in Turkey finally, and I am very excited to be here! I am the last Co-op student to arrive; Co-op's Annie, Mackenzie, Julia, Warren, Will, and Zach were already here before me. It still doesn't feel like I will be here until the end of June, but it will all seek in soon. Let the adventures come!
Sorry for any bad grammar..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was all in one day!!! I would soooo trade lives with u in a heartbeat!..haha. Best of luck in Turkey Jamar!!!! Keep the blogs going! :)

- Yeisy

Unknown said...

Wow. I think it is so cool you are traveling abroad. Adventures in Turkey with Jamar! Haha. Well I'm glad you made it safely...to be in another country for five months will definitely be an EXPERIENCE you will not ever forget. Hope to read more posts in the future!

Misz Stephii Baby said...

jamar i'm so jealous of you and ur travels. the experiences that you have this past year will stay with you for a lifetime!!!

Post a Comment